Quonset Huts!

I have a strange untraceable passion for Quonset Huts! For those of you who don't know, "a Quonset hut is a lightweight prefabricated structure of corrugated steel having a semicircular cross section. The sides were corrugated steel sheets. The two ends were covered with plywood, which had doors and windows. The interior was insulated and had pressed wood lining and a wood floor."

There are a number of these buildings for sale near my hometown. I wish I had money. It would be a dream come true to own one of these interesting buildings. Imagine the sound of rain beating down on your very own corrugated roof...

Quonset hut - the free encyclopedia.

2 Comments:

Ed said...

These are the coolest!

Anonymous said...

With concerns over the economy, growing interest in simplified living and "green" awareness, I'm not too sure the Quonset Hut has seen its last days.....I also have a passion for them, especially their growing relevance, if not yet popularity (even I haven't convinced the wife yet). In the mean time, I am actively working on an acceptable design for a residential Quonset hut just in case my "inklings" turn out to be true....