The Hand of Glory


Dr. Fong Says:
Only a few of these are known to have survived to the present day. A true rarity!


Here we have something really special. The Hand of Glory is the dried and pickled hand of a man who has been hanged, often specified as being the left hand, or else, if the man was hanged for murder, the hand that did the deed.

According to old European beliefs, a candle was made with the fat of one who had died on the gallows, virgin wax, and Lapland sesame oil, this was combined with a hand having come from a hanged criminal. Once it was lit it would have rendered motionless all persons to whom it was presented. The Hand of Glory also purportedly had the power to unlock any door it came across. Because of this the Hand was sometimes used by burglars to rob houses.

11 Comments:

Osiris said...

Lets say I want one, where do I go to acquire such a thing?

Dr. Fong said...

well, there is the obvious answer of make one yourself. Though hanged bodies aren't around in the abundence that they once were.

I'll talk to you in private about another option...

Osiris said...

Well, sure, I guess I could hang someone and hack their hand off, but you know I am too lazy for that.

Memphis said...

Unlock any door?

Now that would be handy....


Bahahahahaha.


Fine.

Someone had to.

Osiris said...

Dr Fong, I know you have one of these rare items in your Curio Shop in North Vietnam. I would like to place an online bid for this item, I really want it badly. You won't get an offer like this from the locals, I bid One Hundred Million Dong for it. That is a generous offer, please let me know...

Dr. Fong said...

While your offer of 6,218.90 USD is encouraging I have this rare item only on consignment and told it's owner I would not sell it for less than 10,000 USD or 160,800,000.00 VND (Vietnam Dong).

Osiris said...

I suggest you speak to the owner then. This is a VERY generous offer and it will make both you and the owner quite rich. It is my first and FINAL offer, please do reconsider.

Dr. Fong said...

My good sir, while $6,000 is a lot of money to some people it is not enough to cause me to go back on my word. I appreciate your offer but respectfully decline your bid. This is a very rare item and will not sell for less than $10,000.

Osiris said...

You are making a huge mistake, Fong. I would sooner pay someone 20,000 USD to steal the hand from your lousy little shop than pay your inflated price. The hand will be mine, one way or another. Good day to you.

Osiris said...

okok, maybe I got a little upset over this. We can talk about this. I will up my bid to 8,000 USD. That is VERY generous, please at least speak to the owner.

Anonymous said...

A band known as "The Smithereens" recorded a song called "Hand of Glory" on their album Especially For You about this very thing. The song itself was written and recorded by Jim Silva.