Marimo: Japanese Moss Balls

Dr. Fong Says:
I want one!


"Marimo (Japanese: 毬藻), also known as Lake ball or Moss Balls in English, is a species of filamentous green algae (Chlorophyta) found in a number of lakes in the northern hemisphere. The name though refers to a certain rare growth form of the species where the algae grow into large green balls with a velvety appearance. Colonies of such balls are known only from Iceland, Japan and Estonia." Marimo Wiki

If anyone is blessed with an over abundence of these cute little guys, please let me know. I would love to have a couple for my new planted aquarium. I have many interesting things that could be offered in trade.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I coughed one up once!

Anonymous said...

I just coughed up another moss ball. I will send it to you.

Chhayawolf said...

I bought one at Tat's fish store just today and they only get two every month or so from a Marimo farm i found out. I also tore a small part of it off to make three smaller pieces to find out where it can be placed for optimal growth. I'm guessing if the pieces can grow into mini marino balls without killing them first i can throw some your way. Also i just found out mum is waiting for three more moss balls to come in WOOT! They're much prettier in person and me and my fish(dojo loaches/ghost shrimp and so on) can't stop playing around with it in the tank.:p

Dr. Fong said...

Wow if you can swing it that would be great. I haven't found any in pet stores near here.

Chhayawolf said...

The number one problem would be how to send one to you without it dying first.

Dr. Fong said...

Where do you live? Maybe it could be sent in a little bottle of water like above and wrapped in bubble wrap. It should survive a few days. I would be happy to send you a stack of Dr Fong magnets in trade.

Chhayawolf said...

In California, i'll likely figure out the best kind of container to put it in while i keep an eye on it's growth since it would likely survive longer when it get's a bit bigger. I've got some seriously fishy pond water in the backyard that makes for excellent liquid fertilizer to speed it's growth. While i research how to ship it i'll send a couple photos of the growing baby marimo you'd be getting and their parent marimo that they'll grow up to be so i have peace of mind that you know exactly what you are getting.
So i don't clog up the comments you can email me for more info chhayawolf@hotmail.com

Peter said...

I have a few. If you are still looking for some, I'm will to trade.